Friday, July 15, 2011

Experience

Australian Landscape in London
"Embrace the difference," is the mantra of the Director of the London Study Center, Kathleen Paul.* Having experienced studying abroad for a number of years, her advice is worth taking. 

Even with the differences, I already feel comfortable with the neighborhood. This is due in large part to the tour yesterday and walking back and forth between the Study Center. I stopped in to Boots to get a new adapter, picked up a few groceries at Tesco, and went for a solitary walk and checked out the Australian Landscape at the forecourt of the British Museum. The British Museum, by the way, is just around the corner from my flat.

Every experience here is different, though some only slightly, from my experiences at home. I'm just used to the experiences at home. When I had my "difference of the day" today, I decided it would be a good idea to make a conscious decision to experience differences when given the opportunity. Some may seem small, but those are the things I tend to remember the most.

My difference of the day was enjoying warm custard with my apple pie instead of ice cream. It was a delicious difference. Just as sweet as ice cream, but without turning the pie cold. The whole group enjoyed fish & chips (or a vegetarian substitute), apple pie, and local ale at the Marlborough Arms.





____________________________________
*Previously, this read "experience the difference," but it was brought to my attention that I mistyped. Though I believe the sentiment is very much the same.


No comments:

Post a Comment